Thursday, July 5, 2018

Preparing for Midterm Madness


By Feroza, Academic Assistant (Work Study student)

Many of you are probably thinking to yourself right now, “I have midterms in a week, I haven’t even started studying! What am I going to do?!” It is a very stressful time of the semester for a lot of students as midterms approach. Every student has their own way of preparing for their midterms. Here are just a few things you can do to prepare for any upcoming exams:


Plan Ahead 
This has been a huge issue for me ever since I started university. I’m sure many of you could relate that on top of studying we have other commitments such as assignments, weekly quizzes, extracurricular activities and much more. This could be one of the many reasons why studying is left for the night before. In fact, 68% of students start studying or preparing for exams at most only a week in advance.1
Some things you can do to overcome this is to:
Do Not Cram!
Cramming is not effective. It is overwhelming and will impact your ability to retain information. Whenever I stayed up the night before an exam, I felt that I was being unproductive and this was reflected on my exam performance. It was obvious when I studied in advance I had much better results. Cramming for an exam doesn’t allow your brain to retain important information.2 You lose valuable sleep that will affect your performance.
Some suggestions to not end up cramming the night before the midterm:
Sleep, Exercise, Eat Healthy 
A huge difference that I have incorporated into my midterm preparations is making sure I sleep enough, eat healthy food/snacks, going out for walks or working out at least 3 times a week. These changes have reduced my stress and anxiety levels and boosted my self-confidence especially during midterm season. Studies have shown that exercise significantly reduces stress levels, allowing you to spend less time worrying and more time getting work done.2
Some very important things to do during your weeks of studying:
In addition, there are many resources that UTSC offers to help you prepare for midterms
Now that you know a few tips on how to prepare for midterms, here are some important course enrollment reminders/deadlines you will not want to miss!
  • View your start time on ACORN 
    • July 3rd – 1st, 2nd, 3rd year students 
    • June 22 – 4th and 5th year students 
  • Course enrollment begins 
    • 1st year – July 9th 
    • 2nd year – July 13 
    • 3rd year – July 12 
    • 4th and 5th year – June 27 
  • Deadline to drop courses without academic penalty and have them removed from your transcript (Summer semester) 
    • Y Section – July 23rd  
    • S Section – July 30th 
For more information regarding course enrollment or other deadlines visit:

https://utsc.utoronto.ca/registrar/sites/utsc.utoronto.ca.registrar/files/resource-files/Fall%202018%20Winter%202019%20Academic%20Dates%20.pdf

https://utsc.utoronto.ca/registrar/sites/utsc.utoronto.ca.registrar/files/resource-files/Summer%202018%20Academic%20Dates%20.pdf 

Good luck on all your exams!

Until next time,
Feroza Tareen

Reference:

1. https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/canadian-university-students-study-habits-and-exam-related-stress
2. https://simplygym.co.uk/exercising-will-help-exam-performance/


No comments: