Thursday, June 22, 2017

It’s Almost time to ‘Get Started’ on your Course Enrolment!



By Tharchika S., Academic Assistant (Work Study student)

Are you an incoming 1st year student? Do you want to explore the campus, get your UofT Student Card (TCard), and connect with staff and peers about course selection and more? Well, Get Started is the right program for you!


Get Started Overview
Get Started is a fun and interactive full-day academic orientation hosted by the Academic Advising & Career Centre to help ease students’ transition into UTSC.

When I was entering my first year, I was overwhelmed with the huge responsibility of having to choose my own courses and creating my own schedule. I was accustomed to my high school guidance counselors doing this for me (as long I submitted my course selection form). Having attended Get Started myself, I can say that it definitely gave me the confidence and the right tools to tackle this.

Get Started will introduce you to the information and tools necessary for an overall successful first year experience. This includes:

  • Connecting with Peer Coaches (upper year students) and staff members who will assist with your course selection and help address any questions you may have 
  • Exploring the campus facility and obtaining your U of T Student Card
  • Meeting other campus service providers during the Mix & Mingle session (lunch is provided) to understand resources available to you
  • Gaining tips on getting involved and how to plan for life beyond graduation 
I was able get my TCard during Get Started and surpassed the long lines in the beginning of September. At the Mix & Mingle during lunch, I connected with staff from several departments who gave me the inside scoops about clubs I could join, first year programs I could take part in, and other departments I could take advantage of, in order to learn more about how I could maximize my experience here at UTSC!

Not to mention, I also met some of my best friends during Get Started! It was also a great way to meet other first year students who shared the same experience as me.

For more information about Get Started and how to register, please visit http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/aacc/get-started-program 

In the meantime, whether you have or haven’t already attended, be sure to take advantage of the following resources:
Best wishes, and we look forward to seeing you at Get Started!

On an additional note, Course Enrolment for All Students begins soon!







Remember to check your start time on July 4th to know at what time you will be enrolling in your courses on your enrolment date.

The enrolment dates vary depending on the year you are entering:

Here’s a quick list of the tools and resources that’ll help you plan your academic year:

  1. UTSC Calendar: Here you can find the list of programs offered at UTSC and the courses required for each program. Read the course descriptions to learn more about the course content, and use the calendar to plan for future years!
  2. Timetable: is a great resource to help you figure out when the courses are being offered, the name of the professor teaching the course, lecture meeting time, and any important enrolment information to be aware of (Enrolment Controls)
  3. ACORN: this is the website where you can view your start time for course enrolment and also where you can input your courses to your enrolment cart. This is, of course, followed by the actual enrolment of courses on your specific date and time (refer to table above). 
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!

When in doubt, contact the Academic Advising & Career Centre!

Best Wishes,
Tharchika S.
Academic Assistant

No comments: