Friday, June 15, 2012

The Virtues of Volunteering


Hello world! I’m Farihah, and I’ll be one of the student bloggers here. Allow me to tell you a bit about myself: I am a second-year UTSC student Specializing in Strategic Management. I love baking, reading, and getting involved everywhere I can!

Throughout the summer, I’ll be sharing some issues I’ve experienced while job-hunting, and some of the resources and strategies I’ve used to get myself out of the jobless slump.

Now, before I go any further, I want to make sure you know one thing – not having a job isn’t the worst thing in the world. The free time will allow you to explore different opportunities such as extra-curricular activities, focusing on your academics, and volunteering (which is a great opportunity to expand your network)!

Wait, wait, wait…volunteering? Networking? How are they even in the same sentence?

Allow me to back up a bit; business networking is when you meet individuals who may be able to further your career opportunities, and grant you access to new ones. These people can be CEOs, your professor, or even the bank teller at your local branch. Everyone you befriend could potentially be your key to the perfect job.

If you find yourself unable to find work for the summer months, try to see what volunteer opportunities are available in your area. Refer to the “Volunteering” Tipsheet posted on the AACC webpage: http://joomla.utsc.utoronto.ca/aaccweb/images/stories/CareerTipsheet/Volunteering.pdf

Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, and will allow you to gain skills that you can transfer to other jobs. If you’re particularly passionate about a cause, volunteering at a related charity may end up being your path to a career there. Work hard, network, and show people that you’re passionate, and you will be guaranteed a bright future.

-Farihah


No comments: